Gen. John Hyten took command of US Strategic Command at Offutt AFB, Neb., on Thursday. Hyten, who had commanded Air Force Space Command since August 2014, replaced Adm. Cecil Haney, who had been at the STRATCOM helm since November 2013. Defense Secretary Ash Carter and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Joseph Dunford took part in the ceremony. Carter noted he has worked with Hyten for years. “I can't publicly describe everything we worked on together, but I can say with great confidence that throughout his career, whether serving in space operations, acquisition roles, and all the other things he's done, John has developed a keen understanding of the current and future operational needs of our DOD space force and how to acquire the capabilities we need,” Carter said. “His experience and expertise will be a tremendous asset to STRATCOM as we prepare and face future threats in all domains.” Dunford said when it came time to decide who would replace Haney, he witnessed a very brief conversation between President Barack Obama and Carter before the apparently easy decision was made. “Given the array of threats and challenges we face, they knew that leading an organization of Strategic Command’s importance was going to require a special leader, and clearly we have that kind of leader in General John Hyten,” Dunford said.
Daily Report: Read the day's top news on the US Air Force, air power, and national security issues.
Daily Report: Read the day's top news on the US Air Force, airpower, and national security issues.
Tweets by @AirForceMag