North Korea on Saturday claimed another ballistic missile test launch, this time from a submarine off the coast. The Pentagon on Monday said it was still assessing the test and “regardless of exactly what took place,” North Korea is in violation of UN resolutions. It is “an action we condemn,” Defense Department spokesman Peter Cook said during a Monday briefing. North Korea said it launched the missile at 6:30 p.m. local time, and the missile reportedly flew just 30 kilometers, even though about 300 would be considered a successful test, CNN reported. President Obama said on Sunday the US would not negotiate with North Korea about changing military drills in South Korea until North Korea is serious about denuclearization. It is the latest of several missile tests so far this year, including one earlier this month the Pentagon called a “catastrophic failure.”
Daily Report: Read the day's top news on the US Air Force, airpower, and national security issues.
The next Daily Report will be Tuesday, May 29 due to the Memorial Day holiday.
The Senate Armed Services Committee’s version of the National Defense Authorization Act, released by the committee late Thursday, would provide for $715.9 billion in spending, according to a summary produced by the committee.
Tweets by @AirForceMag